Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Erma Workshop Day 1 Wrap Up

Alan Zweibel and Gilda Radner


So tired.

What a great dinner. Not only did we get to hear from Erma's widow, Bill Bombeck, who read from her 3rd grade autograph book and made everybody cry, we got to hear some amazing stories from Alan Zweibel, who was one of the original SNL writers among countless other huge things. He was hilarious, self-deprecating, melancholy about his enormously important friendship with Gilda Radner (a very big influence for me), and yes, he did have the infamous Roger Ebert review of "North" in his jacket pocket. I left wanting to WRITE. I also bought his kids book and had him sign it for the boys, and his book about Gilda, Bunny Bunny, for me. He was very nice up close, too.

And the other attendees? Not so scary! The people at my table were funny, friendly, and nice. I love that I have yet to bump into anyone who feels threatening or ultra-competitive, which can happen when people are into the same kind of art. This is a fantastic crowd.

I also think I saw a couple familiar faces from the blogosphere, which is a bizarre feeling! It's like celebrity spotting in L.A. but you're never quite sure if the 2"X2" icon you've been looking at is the same as the real life, actual-sized person in front of you. Tomorrow, I must sleuth.

Tonight, I must sprawl on a giant bed, all by myself. And watch any TV channel I want. And miss my babies a little.

Tomorrow, good googly my day is going to be packed! I'm very psyched about so many of the seminars I'm attending, though. I may need lots of coffee, but it's going to be great.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great snap shot of your evening, thanks! "I left wanting to WRITE", workshop is doing a good job ;) Glad you're having a good time. -- mil

Jen said...

I'm so happy that you had a great day! Soak it all in and then get thee to work on that best seller!

Robyn said...

It was nice to meet you at the dinner! You can find me at imarriedthepastor.blogspot.com

Robyn said...

It was nice to meet you at the dinner! You can find me at imarriedthepastor@blogspot.com. Enjoy the conference!

CincySarah said...

Hi Robyn! Thanks for finding me. You are on TOP of this stuff. I have yet to start digging into the list of places I definitely want to check out. :) Maybe I'll see you at dinner here in a bit. I wonder what kind of veggie delights they'll have for us this evening...

CincySarah said...

I'm on it. Right after a LOT of sleep. You should really, really try to get to this in 2014.

CincySarah said...

Thank you! It's a great conference.

Post a Comment